Saturday, June 1, 2013

Sports Movies are the Best

Recently heard a sports radio call in show discuss sports movies and it got my mind to thinking of a few of my own favorites. In the method mastered by comedic genius David Letterman, here are my Top Five movies about the games we play. Letterman does a Top 10, but this is a hard subject.

5. Bad News Bears. I don't know this was a favorite of mine as a kid, probably not  "Oscar worthy" but just a fun time in the movie theatre for a child of the 70s and 80s.

4. Any of the Rocky movies, except for the last one. These films got better as they went on, through the first four.  The world fell in love with the Philadelphia Brawler as he took on opponents like Apollo Creed, Clubber Lang and Drago. Rocky is just a great "guy flick."


3. Major League. How can a film with characters named Wild Thing and Willie Mays Hayes not make this list. The comedy was a hit in my college dorm room and the film is a window into the world of minor league baseball. Lots of fun.

2. Bull Durham. Just the fact I have been in the stadium where this was filmed is a big plus. It is also, by many accounts, a close depiction of what life is like in the minor leagues.

1. Andy my number one sports movie, Rudy.  This is one I have watched numerous times and will watch again. Awesome personal touch to a story about the most storied program in college football. Love this film and anyone who likes footballl will love this movie.

No comments: