Monday, January 12, 2015

Heroes getting few and far between

The greatest generation, for sure

I had the experience of attending the funeral of a World War 2 veteran today and it made me realize a few things. More than anything it made me appreciate heroes who are slowly disappearing.
I only had the privilege to meet Roland Johnson on a few occasions. That was my loss.
I never had the opportunity to hear about Normandy and the Battle of the Bulge from someone who was there. I never heard about charging against German lines, with deadly machines pointing at the invading American heroes.
 I never heard about serving on the other side of the world from family in a era when the only communication was a letter written and delivered to loved ones days, weeks and even months from when pen was first applied to paper.
I never had the chance to hear first hand accounts of things movies were literally made about.
The fact that Mr. Johnson was 98 years old makes a point. Many of the soldiers who served with him have long since left this world. The few who are still here won't be for long. Our opportunity to thank them are quickly dwindling.
There is a reason this generation of heroes is called the Greatest Generation. It is doubtful any other generation can even compare. It is doubtful if the reincarnation of Adolph Hitler arises that those 20 year olds now living could accomplish the task their fathers and grandfathers did. It is in some ways scary to think some day they might have.
 I lost my opportunity to thank Mr. Johnson, at least while we are on this earth, for his service to his country and these thoughts posted in my tiny little corner of the Internet are a meager attempt to do so. I hope if I see another member of the greatest generation, I won't make the same mistake again.

No comments: