Tuesday, June 11, 2013

My granddad and sports


Some would question how a site devoted to sports writing can be an appropriate place for a memorial column but in the case of my grandfather there is no more appropriate place to honor him. He will be remembered for many things in memorial services this week but in my mind many of those will go back the world of sports.
My challenge in showing the link between Otto Woerner and the world of sports will be limiting it, I could write a book but a few thoughts are below. Pardon me to some who may miss some of my connections to the sporting world.
Granddad was a lover of people and introduced me to hundreds over the years. As a child I met a personal friend of his, Billy Joe Patton. At the time it never occurred to me he was a Master’s legend, nearly winning the greatest tournament in the world as an amateur. As much as anything else he was another of granddad’s friends eating Sunday dinner at the Mimosa Hills Country Club in Morganton.
They are probably enjoying a round of golf in heaven today.
I don’t know what you do with your all your time in heaven but one thing can be assured. This fall granddad will be some where that has a view of Memorial stadium, Lincoln Nebraska.
There never was a bigger fan of the Nebraska Cornhuskers. Granddad was a proud graduate. Maybe he was wearing one of those silly big red Cornhusker hats and gave St. Peter a big “Go Big Red” when he went through the Pearly Gates Tuesday. I will never see a white helmet with a red letter N and not think of him.
Same applies to Baltimore Orioles legend Jim Palmer, he will always be a reminder. That sounds strange but once again granddad’s people skills came through.
I don’t know where but somewhere along the line he ran into Palmer, probably in an airport or in a taxi cab. He struck up a conversation and ended up with a signed baseball for his baseball loving grandson. It is still on my shelf.
I have to put the Hickory Crawdads on the list of granddad reminders. He, I and a few dozen of his friends enjoyed a game, maybe 20 years ago. Being a recent graduate of umpire school I gladly described the details of life for “the men in blue.” Its another precious memory, right there with watching him enjoy the between innings antics of the Barney Fife impersonator or the kids “wrestling” in the blow up sumo wrestling costumes.
Time to stop this now, the keyboard doesn’t react well to tears on it. A remarkable man, and a big sports fan is now in the great bleachers in the sky. Now he can watch any game he wants and will enjoy it. I hope he saves a seat for me.
A Giant Kudos from The Corner is just for you granddad.

No comments: