Tuesday, July 20, 2010

New Face On Tour

As I watched the replays from the British Open yesterday I thought to myself who is Louis Oosthuizen, I had never heard the name before. Now I realize he will be the one carrying the Claret Jug as the winner of the British Open this year.  Louis is from South Africa so maybe the excitement of the World Cup bringing fame to his country wore off on him too, who knows.  Either way it is refreshing for someone new to win for a change. I am a Phil Mickelson fan but this time I was ok that he was back in the pack.

On another note I give John Daly credit just for having the nerve to wear those awful pants in public, the ones at the right are just one of the pairs that were terrible. The fact the he was even in the weekend conversations at the tournament shows his resilience. He is the ultimate example of an athlete, I guess you can call Daly that, who just keeps hanging on. He deserves credit for that regardless of problems with his personal life. Tiger, you had to watch Louis but it was nice that you or your private life wasn’t the only story this Sunday.

Oosthuizen didn’t only win, he won with a seven stroke 16 under par victory over Lee Westwood. One interesting thing is that this was only the second time he even made the cut in a major tournament.   Another interesting tid bit is that until recently Louis couldn’t afford to golf much less get better at it, that is until Ernie Els’ foundation spotted him.  The foundation helps promising young golfers get better that cannot afford it.  Great job Louis!

No comments: